Clinical Psychology & Training Programs
Fairmount is committed to providing educational opportunities for staff as well as responding to requests for training from the community.
- tuition reimbursement for college courses
- free CE credits for professional staff via UHS sponsored websites
- LMS (Learning Management System) through Health Stream. LMS gives staff access to CEU’s and various trainings for free
- attendance at conferences and seminars within and outside the facility
- online learning management system for required and voluntary trainings
- the annual safety fair for completion of mandatory training requirements
- in-service presentations by clinical staff on a variety of topics requested by staff such as psychotropic medications, medical issues in psychiatric patients, motivational interviewing, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, and autism spectrum disorders
- annual certification in the UHS Handle With Care behavioral management program
- CPR and first aid training
- collaborative agreements with local nursing schools to provide clinical learning experiences
Fairmount Behavioral Health System participates in The Friends Hospital Predoctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology, internship program accredited by the American Psychological Association that provides an opportunity for doctoral candidates in clinical or counseling psychology to work under close supervision in an inpatient psychiatric setting that is committed to the principles of recovery, trauma-informed care, and high quality service.
The internship program employs a practitioner-scholar model of training and is grounded in cognitive behavioral therapy, with an emphasis on evidence-based treatment.
The Internship in Clinical Psychology has been fully accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) since 1979. The Internship will be up for re-accreditation in the year 2021. The Internship is a member in good standing of the Association of Psychology Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Internship Centers (APPIC).
Questions regarding accredited status should be directed to the APA Commission on Accreditation:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 1st Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002
For more detailed information about the Internship Program review the following:
Psychology Practicum Student Programs
The Psychology Practicum Student Program at Fairmount provides doctoral psychology graduate students at the pre-internship level with a practicum experience in a dynamic inpatient psychiatric hospital setting with intensive, specialized practicum experiences on our adult, adolescent and child units.
Practicum students have the opportunity to work as part of our multi-disciplinary teams, providing individual and group therapy as well as psychological assessments. Fairmount has close working relationships with a number of local doctoral programs and currently have practicum students from The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), Widener University, and Immaculata University.
In addition to our psychology practicum students, Fairmount serves as a training site for masters’ level students from PCOM’s Mental Health Counseling Program and Philadelphia University’s specialized Trauma Counseling Program.
The hospital has a valued and varied group of trainees which also include expressive art therapy students from Drexel University, social work interns from the University of Pennsylvania, and nursing students from Thomas Jefferson University.
If you still have questions concerning our training programs, see our contact us page.